Monday, October 29, 2007

Secret, Law of Attraction, and Faith

Okay, so I was trying to study 2 days ago... Exam's approaching you see... However, there was this little commotions in the TV room of the R2 which made me more or less interested. Inside that room I saw 3 familiar figures (erm... 4 actually, if you count that irritating OV from SAVE) Lisa, Gaby, n Asec. I asked these three fella what they were doing in the dark with the seemingly uninteresting TV program running on the screen. They were telling me that they were watching The Secret. Confounded a little bit, I joined them in watching. Well, apparently it is very interesting. The 'movie' is talking about The Law of Attraction. Somehow I found the law very familiar and thus I shall do a freelance-biased analysis down here.

The Law of Attraction generally states that "experience physical and mental manifestations that correspond to their predominant thoughts, feelings, words, and actions and that people therefore have direct control over reality and their lives through thought alone". This definition I took from Wikipedia. The Secret put it through an example, it would be this way: You want a bicycle. The 'Universe' would adjust accordingly such that you would get the bicycle (correct me if I am wrong here).

The show goes on and on and on showing n explaining about the law. And at one moment of time it was mentioned about the 3 steps of getting what you want. Ask, answer, receive. Please read articles regarding these three steps if you are interested coz I myself not too familiar with the law. However, I found that all along the law of attraction has always been there. It is what I called FAITH.

Oh well, 'ask' part of the law states that if we want something, we have to really clear and exact about what we want. Back to my bicycle example, it would be 'a red coloured BMX bike, light enough so that I would easily ollie with it, it would have suspension set on hard, etc etc". Now this is one of the Biblical teaching of 'ask and it shall be given onto you' isnt it? Our God is the specific God as I remember Ko Omar, my youth pastor said. As long as it is in accordance to God's will, anything we ask it is given to us. However, we need to be specific in our request. Say I want a bike. Of course He wouldnt mind giving me one. But just what kind of bike I want. Though God is omniscience, He wants the kids to say what they want. So yeah, as I said.. Isnt it FAITH?

Third part 'receive'... Once you have asked for something, go on and act as if you have received that thing. For example, my above-mentioned bike. Once I say I want the bike, everyday I would picture myself having the bike. I would start to buy the bike chain, helmet etc. And as a result (according to the law) the universe will somehow works out to give me the bike. Oh well, it IS how it works, just that it is not the universe that is the superior being. It is God who would grant us anything as long as we seek Him and His righteousness. Isnt it stated in the Bible? But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you (please refer to Mat 6:33). Rev David Yonggi Cho (prev Paul Yonggi Cho) hs written this matter regarding visualisation in one of his books. I forgot which one, but I think it is the book titled 'The Fourth Dimension'.

Well right now I am asking for something in my life. I would try to stick to my own (or rather the Bible) version of Law of Attraction, "ask, seek, knock" (refer to Mat 7:7). Well, in the mean time, I would keep visualizing what I want. Fun isnt it?

7 comments:

gabie roxanne said...

well..
gw stuju klo kita harus tetep stick to the bible version.. haha

but.. still, there's also one thing *as far as i remember* that gw en lisa was discussing.. which is:

klo misalnya we only like ask-blablabla gitu dhe pokoke, does it mean that kita jadi kek 'menghambakan' Tuhan? as in, well, kita emang bener minta sama Tuhan, tapi at the same time rite, kita kan visualize en kita imagine klo, well, we have em.. *yep, that's what we called by faith* but still, itu sama aja kek kita tinggal nunggu "God (or the universe that the movie is refering to), kapan You give us the things that I want?"

which is actually, not always that all the things that we want will be given to us by God, aite? and if we have BELIEVED that we have received it, doesn't that mean that kita kek udah in a way nyuruh Tuhan klo 'this is what i want, and i believe that you'll given em for me, thus give em to me..' ?

well, those things are what gw en lisa are (or were) discussing, jadi kek.. somehow it's true that we have to have our faith in Him, moreover that we have our faith in Him that He can do all things and that whatever we ask for in prayer, if its according to His will, we'll receive em..

but still, we put our faith in God, not in the things that we want to get, aite?


*please comment on this comment :)*

~lisa said...

OH MY goshh...mike. u just referred to Dr Yonggi Cho. gw td br aja inget2 lagi ttg fourth dimension-nya dia yg asli.and yeaa..i sort of AGREE with what he said.

well, what we talked last night abt 'hamba' isnt all right.and i thought somehow this is the key:

i should believe that Christ is our Lord and Saviour and OUR OWN FATHER.
trus analoginya, boleh kan kalo a child minta sesuatu yg spesifik sama her father..itu maksudnya bukan menghambakan, again, itu maksudnya sbg anak kita BOLEH saja meminta...

discuss this l8r.i've just discussed this w my mum this morning. =]

mike, ngobrol2 dong.YOUR REFERENCE to Dr.Cho, bener2bikin gw kaget.
and i also think Benny Hinn is somehow GA sesat.

tty all l8r

gabie roxanne said...

well.. i've talked to my dad too..
and.. yeap, he gave me new point of view, which made me have to edit what i've posted on my first comment..

kita memang in a way bisa jadi kek menghambakan Tuhan, tapi,, on the other side, sebenernya enggak.. cuz first thing we have to ask is that 'kalo Tuhan berkenan',, so, gw stuju ama yg lisa bilang..

next.. i think we need to discuss this later lagi lis.. =p

ttyl :)

The Lame One said...

so it is all back to our spiritual mentality and motivation... do we put ourselves in the position of a kiddo (who believes that the big Dad can do anything and everything but it is up to Him whether he wants to do it) or the position of a boss (who believes that he got the power to make things done)

anyways, now i spot a HUGE difference between law of Attraction and the Law of Ask-Seek-Knock. the law of attraction states that the 'universe' would tell us 'your will is my command' while the Law of Ask-Seek-Knock implicitly states that 'Thy will be done'. speaking of which, two of famous figures in the Bible states that phrase in their own ways. Mary stated 'I am the Lord's servant. May it be to me as you (Gabriel, sent by God) have said'. Jesus says 'May Your will be done'. please do refer to the Book of Matthew.

@ gab:
since lo udah comment on your comment, gw masih perlu comment on your comment on your comment ga neh? anyways, dengan minta hal2 kecil kpd Tuhan bukan berarti kita menghambakan Tuhan... seperti yang gw tulis di atas, ada perbedaan yang jelas antara mentalitas bocah ingusan ama mentalitas boss. masalahnya sekarang, mental mana yang kita lagi pake kalo minta ama Tuhan. menyinggung dikit masalah 'kalo Tuhan berkenan'... gw tiba tiba inget ttg Bruce Almighty, ada satu scene dimana dia declare 'MY will be done' (nah itu yang namanya memperhambakan Tuhan), harusnya kan 'Thy will be done'

@ lisa:
hahhaha... gw udah baca beberapa commentary against benny hinn ama yonggi cho... well, hampir semua figur terkenal dlm christianity nowadays ada yang bilang sesat... mulai dari paus, hillsong ministries, stephen tong, niko nyotoraharjo, sampe pendeta di gereja gw di pwt adaaa aja yang bilang sesat n nulis commentaries yang generally quote Biblical references. yang mana yang bener, gw ga tau... so i look to You, so i look to You, no one else will do, no one else will do..

----------------
disclaimer: this comment is written without undergoing revisions and hence very raw
----------------

gabie roxanne said...

hahaha terserah loe sih mike..
maw comment on my comment or ngak.. =p

well, in the end, we shud have kiddo mental.. ;) *tapi emang di bible kan juga Jesus is refering dat we shud be like lil kids, aite?*

~lisa said...

"so i look to You, so i look to You, no one else will do, no one else will do.."

I SETUJU bgt. kalo masalah2 gt sebenernya kita ga berhak nge-JUDGE lagi, meskipun byk org yg suka critic2 gt. yg penting back to BIBLE and "so i look to You, so i look to You, no one else will do, no one else will do.."


HAHAHA....=]

SapiMungil said...

i read the book!!!

got some interesting quote there, tapi i didnt analyze it as deep as y'all... hahahaa...