Friday, August 7, 2009

O Week 2009 - Back To School

Different people have different opinions, but for me, this year Oweek is quite chui (Singlish for sloppy). Oh well, maybe it is at the committees disadvantage that the first and second days of the period were FIC and Flag Day respectively. Still, the organization of the programmes was not good enough. Below listed why I dont like this year Oweek.

1. Food
Majority of the camp participants voiced their discontentment towards the catering selection. The food was horrible. You can get a plate of rice and a small piece of meat for lunch, which did not justify the $40 paid by the freshies to attend the event. The comms did try to address this issue by changing caterer halfway through the event, yet the damage has been done.

2. Programme
Too little programmes, too much slacking time. I am totally disappointed at the Engin Race thingy. It is really dumb in my honest opinion, to send all the camp participant to take '200 pictures and 9 videos' at a given point within 3 hours. Beach games and war games were not too fantastic either. They cut it short for MASS DANCE session. Sounds like a good idea? Not for me. I dont go to orientation events to learn mass dances... I can elaborate further on the low side of the programmes, but lets move on to the next point.

3. My personal take
I came to the camp with the slacking mindset. Well, after 3 years of doing all these stuff, I think it is my time to rest my bad back. You know, I want to sit at the corner, taking my time to take pictures n stuff. It is just my time to retire. This mindset in fact backstabbed me. I forced myself not to enjoy the camp to the fullest due to this.

4. My OG
None of the seniors in my OG is experienced enough to handle huge group. I saw it on day 1 (FIC day). They did not teach cheers or play decent ice breaking games. That was alarming. As a result, the morale of the OG was pretty low. Indeed we improved and well, definitely not the worst group around, but I feel that it could be better. But dont get me wrong here. My OGL and councillors, despite their inexperience, did a great job.

Having complained all the way, I have to mention that despite all the lousiness, the Finale Night was pretty great. The JC-uniform themed party was great, the program was good. I enjoyed the Finale Night. It seems that the comms put in a lot of works into the finale. Well, if they gave the same amount of attention to other programmes, my opinion of Engin Oweek 2009 might have changed. But that is IF...

No comments: