Monday, February 18, 2008

Failure Culture

First thing first: RM!!!
(this is to clarify my previous post)

Well if it is Friday and there is a blog entry, that means I jaga CBLC. Today I dont really feel like writing (or rather typing) just because I did quite some typing today and the day before due to the submission of the design project (ME21xy, x and y is of a forgotten value each). But then again, I have something in mind I would like to register, which is about failure.

Over the course of one week or slightly more, I have experienced a lot of failures, up to a point that I think I am immune towards failure. In a way it is good thing coz failure is indeed (I am banking on this) a delayed success. However, I do believe that failure can be more than just a delayed success.

I have learned in my management course that the culture of failure would drive a company forward, causing many many many creative products to be found. Do you know that post-it was a failure? The 3M company was experimenting with a new type of adhesive glue which is supposedly strong and transparent. While it was indeed a transparent one, it was not sticky enough. However, they dont just accept failure as it is, they invent the almighty post-it! The marketing part is another story. The thing I have learned here is that failure might not only be a delayed sucess, but failure might actually be a success in disguise.

While I dont really know and care which category does my previous failure belong to, I do understand that there is absolutely no need of scared to fail. Take the opportunity as you dont know what lies ahead of you. Given I have failed to do X, there would still be next time. Probably not exactly a nice thing to experience failure coz naturally it is painful, but tell me which learning process is not painful? Even I found it painful to learn html (eyesore...)

PS: There is no pun intended (for now) in my first two lines of this post.

*edited about 1 day after previous paragraphs*
PS2: I have never owned blue bluetack, just white...

4 comments:

William said...

Blutack?? ==> white??
Post-it ==> TR2201?
Failure ==> the Fair is not fair?

The Lame One said...

Blutack => either u noe it, or u dont noe it
Post-it => nope, MNO1101
Failure => not the Fair, You See

Wai said...

Learn from the other Mike. =)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45mMioJ5szc

The Lame One said...

i've missed more than 9,000 shots in my career
i've lost almost 300 games
26 times i been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed
i've failed over and over and over again in my life
that is why i succeed

------------
thanks wai...